From the invention of wheels to the modern aeroplanes are some of the game-changing innovations made by humans. This higher intelligence to create new systems to overcome the limitations makes humans different from other animals. Even though all innovations are introduced to make human life more effortless, some significant problems are caused by many of these innovations. One of which is the pollution due to fossil fuel vehicles. To tackle this problem, the use of electric bikes in Australia increased significantly in the last few decades. Now 2.5% to 5% of all the vehicles sold in Australia are electric vehicles. The following factors are the significant reasons for using electric bikes:
- Pollution: In Australia, almost 5000 people die from air pollution-related diseases. Thus moving towards a much cleaner way of transport is necessary for Australia. Regardless of the type of pollution, the primary reason will be using fossil fuel vehicles. After the invention of fossil fuel engines, they are widely used in various automobiles. The use of such motors helped humans to achieve new heights. But the pollution produced by them created severe problems. The smoke emitted from vehicles contaminated the air and decreased air quality. The mining and processing of fossil fuels make various contaminants pollute natural water sources.
- Health issues: The use of modern vehicles leads to a lack of exercise in people. This problem, combined with new unhealthy eating habits, created several health issues like obesity and heart attacks. In Australia, 67% of the population suffer from overweight and related problems.
- Depleting energy sources: Fossil fuels are not renewable energy sources. It takes thousands of years and perfect conditions to form fossil fuel. The increased use and uncontrolled mining are reducing the energy source. Continuing this extortion rate can lead to the lack of enough fuel in the future. Electricity can be produced from renewable energy sources like wind, tide, sunlight, etc. Due to this realisation, solar power generation increased considerably in Australia. It made Australia the largest solar power intake country in the world.
Advantages of electric bikes
The advantages of the electric bike for such uses are:
- Higher energy efficiency: Electric motors are far more efficient than fuel engines for short distances. Electric bikes can travel much longer with identical energy than fossil fuel engines. It reduces fuel costs and the wastage of energy.
- Pollution-free: There is no compulsion of fuels in electric motors. Thus there are no pollutants produced due to the working of electric motors. Also, the production and supply of electricity are much cleaner and pollution-free than fossil fuels. This feature helps nature to come back from pollution. Also, the health risks of pollution from fossil fuels can be minimised.
Due to these advantages, the use of electric bikes in Australia is promoted by various government bodies.
Selecting the right electric bike
- Range: This determinant is similar to the fuel efficiency of fossil fuel vehicles. The electric bikes travel distances according to their battery capacity. But, as battery capacity increases, the weight and cost of the bike increase. Those who want to travel long distances should choose bikes with a higher range.
- Charing: One of the most significant disadvantages of an electric bike is the time taking to recharge the battery. The electric bike with fast charging capabilities can reduce this problem up to a limit.
- Motor power: Motor power of each electric bike varies, and this power determines the speed and performance of the bike. For short distances, a vehicle with lower motor power is enough. The increase in motor power can cause a reduction in range. But for riding through hills and carrying a heavy load, a vehicle with higher motor power is necessary.